I’m a part-time professional photographer specialising in tree, forest and landscape photography. My images have been used in magazines, books, merchandising, and global advertising. A selection of tree photographs are available to view on my dedicated tree photography website at photos.gabrielhemery.com
Please note, this page contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission that supports the costs of running this blog.
Buy prints, calendars and more . . .
Visit my shop for a wide range of products based on my tree photographs.
Commissions and Licensing
I also sell prints and license images for commercial use, and occasionally undertake commission work for clients. If you have seen an image that you are interested in, for example in my 500px gallery, or wish to discuss working with me, then please contact me. I am a member of the Association of Photographers (AOP) and I base my initial pricing for work on average commercial rates provided by the AOP.
About my Tree Photography
My images have been selected for various competitions, exhibitions, publications, and products including:
- AramcoWorld – feature
- Trees of the Planet book – two images selected
- Temple Spa luxury skincare seasonal range – packaging and promotion
- Scottish Nature Photography Awards 2014 – shortlisted image
- FSC UK 2014 photography competition – shortlisted image
- The Guardian newspaper
- Woodland Trust merchandise
TREE PHOTOGRAPHY – TECHNICAL ASPECTS:
I shoot in micro four thirds format using Panasonic Lumix photography equipment. The small form of this format means it’s possible to carry a camera body and several lenses on a long trek, along with other hiking gear.
I always capture in RAW format and post-process my images using Adobe Lightroom.
TREE PHOTOGRAPHY – EQUIPMENT:
I’m often asked what cameras, lenses and accessories I use. The following is a summary of the equipment that I’ve been using since switching to micro four-thirds equipment several years ago. I am a big fan of Panasonic Lumix.
- Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
Lenses (x2 to compare with 35mm format):
- H-H014 (14mm / f2.5) – tiny wide angle pancake lens
- H-H020 (20mm / f1.7) – a wonderfully compact pancake lens, excellent in low light
- H-X025E Leica DG SUMMILUX (25mm / f1.4) – quality standard lens with beautiful bokeh
- H-F007014 (7-14mm / f4.0 zoom) – superwide zoom & probably my favourite lens
- H-FS014042 (14-42mm / f3.5-5.6 zoom) – a workhorse zoom lens
- H-HS043E-K Lumix G Lens (42.5mm / f1.7) – portrait and close-up work
- H-ES045 (45mm / f2.8) – quality macro and portrait lens
- H-FS045200 (45-200mm / f4.0-5.6 zoom) – medium telephoto
- H-FS100300E (100-300 mm, F4-5.6 O.I.S) – super telephoto
- Benbo Trekker (for use in macro work and where travel limited)
- Benro Travel Angel carbon fibre (for trekking and travel)
- Metz 58 AF-1 flash
- Billingham Hadley Pro camera bag – the perfect size for one body plus 4 or 5 lenses. Search for other Billingham bags on Wex Photo Video
- Lens cleaning equipment
- The Photographer’s Ephemeris (mobile app)
Follow me on Instagram
My Instagram stream features a range of fine photographic images plus others related to my other work. Many of these are taken with an iPhone.